This salad is quick and healthy. It is a great way to get a little protein and fiber in the middle of your day and enjoy some of the great local apples that are in season right now.
Autumn Lentil Salad
Adapted from Giada de Laurentiis: Italian Lentil Salad
one cup of autumn lentil mix or any lentils (available in the bulk section at Wheatsville)
4 cups of water, vegetable broth or chicken broth (we used our homemade chicken broth)
1 apple, sliced into thin sticks (local galas and cameos are available at Wheatsville and Central Market)
1 cucumber, peeled and sliced (Johnson's Backyard Garden CSA box or at the Austin Farmers' Market on Wednesdays and Saturdays)
1 small green bell pepper (our garden)
lemon zest (our garden)
walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts
parsley, French thyme, basil or sorrel (our garden)
*optional - add a little roasted chicken from Dewberry Hills Farm (available at Wheastville)
Mix one part lemon juice to three parts Texas Olive Ranch olive oil and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
1. Bring 4 cups of water, vegetable stock or chicken broth to a boil.
2. Add lentils and then let simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Combine all remaining ingredients in a bowl and toss with dressing.
4. Drain lentils and add to the bowl making sure to coat the lentils with the dressing.
5. Wow! That's it. You've already got lunch on the table.