Saturday, January 15, 2011
Autumn Harvest Lentil Soup with Bacon (or Smoke-Dried Tomatoes for Vegetarians)
Adapted from Simple French Lentil Soup with Bacon, Simple Food for Winter, Nourishing Days
***Soak your lentils in water 24 hours before making this soup and change the water after 12 hours.
2 cups Autumn Harvest lentils, bulk section at Wheatsville
4 strips of bacon, diced Richardson Farms at Austin Farmers Market on Wednesdays and Saturdays OR use 2-4 smoke-dried tomatoes for a vegetarian version, Boggy Creek Farms
1 medium yellow onion, diced
4 carrots, diced, Johnson's Backyard Garden at Austin Farmers' Market on Wednesdays and Saturdays
8 cloves of garlic, finely chopped (try the green garlic from Milagro Farms)
6 cups of vegetable or chicken stock, *We used our homemade stock that we make anytime we roast a chicken - just be sure to roast the carcass before making the stock for extra flavor
1 1/2 teaspoons dried or fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
1. In a Dutch oven add bacon and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
2. Add the onions, carrots and salt and saute for about 5 minutes. Lower heat and add garlic and cook until fragrant, careful not to burn the garlic.
3. Add the drained lentils and cover with the stock, bay leaf and thyme. Add more salt and pepper.
4. Simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
5. Enjoy or put in serving size bowls and refrigerate or freeze for weekday meals.