Vension Ham Roast French Dip Sandwiches
1 small vension ham roast or small beef roast
bunch of parsley (Johnson's Backyard Garden)
olive oil, Texas Olive Ranch
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 475.
2. In a dutch oven on medium heat, add olive oil, diced shallots and garlic. Cook until fragrant.
3. Add roast and flavor with chopped parsley, celery salt, cayenne, salt and pepper.
4. Cook for a few minutes on each side and then transfer to the oven.
5. Cook at 475 for 10 minutes and 350 for 30-45 minutes.
6. Remove roast from dutch oven and let rest for 15 mintues and make the au jus.
7. Slice the sandwich or hoagie bread (gluten-free if you prefer) and add the roast, sliced thinly.
After the roast has finished cooking, you can make it au jus by removing the roast to let rest for 15 minutes, add 4 cups of chicken broth or water to the drippings as well as two tablespoons of butter (or non-dairy Earth Balance butter) and two tablespoons of gluten-free flour (I used King Arthur's Gluten-Free Multipurpose flour) and bring to a bowl then simmer for a few minutes. Strain the sauce before serving if desired and serve in a small bowl with the sandwiches.
We served our sandwiches two ways with horseradish mustard and with a paste made from parsley, garlic, shallots, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper and olive oil. Both were delicious.
***In case you are visiting this post looking for information on Jenny's Bakehouse buns, please read the comment below.