Thursday, September 22, 2011

Apple Pie Pecans at Wheatsville




Fall makes me think of apples and apples make me think of apple pie. I can't think of anything better for a fall snack than apple pie that fits in your hand. So, when I headed to the bulk section at Wheatsville to pick up my usual Crispy Texas Pecans for snacks and making raw bars, I noticed something new. Apple Pie Pecans??? I read the ingredients and loved that there were very few (apple juice, local wildflower honey and spices) and that they were made locally at Nourishing Pecans in Waco, Texas


I was happy to see that Wheatsville will be sampling these little fall bites THIS Friday, September 23rd as part of their Organic Harvest Weekend Taste Fair. They will also have samples from local and organic vendors like Johnson's Backyard GardenTexas Daily Harvest Organic DairyTheo Chocolate and Third Coast Coffee.


You'll probably want to eat them all before you get them home. But if happen to have some left in the bag, try this beautiful recipe from The Alkaline Sisters website.  




Just replace the pears with local pears from Wheatsville or your farmers' market, agave nectar with local honey and the pecans with Apple Pie Pecans (or crush them and sprinkle on top)! You can pick up local apples this weekend at the Barton Creek Farmer's Market.


Or, Make it a road trip and visit Bat Creek Farm or Love Creek Orchards to pick your own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment