Friday, January 14, 2011

Carrot and Orange Muffins - Gluten and Dairy Free


Over the weekend I had a friend and her mom visit, who are both gluten-free, and they shared a great tip. They use orange juice rather than milk in muffin recipes. They brought me a whole bag of oranges from South Texas, so I was eager to try it out. 

I tried a batch with Bona Dea's muffin mix  (available at Wheatsville, Whole Foods and through mail order) and they turned out great. I added 1 cup of shredded carrots from Johnson's Backyard Garden (instead of fruit) and 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice from Organic South Texas oranges now available at Wheatsville (instead of milk), and 1/2 cup of Texas Pecans, also available at Wheatsville and Central Market. My friend and her mom also like the Gluten Free Pantry mixes as well. 

Serve with a little butter or honey...or both!

Delish and full of vitamin C and beta carotene! 

No comments:

Post a Comment