Here is a great soup recipe that use ingredients you can find at the farmers' market and grocery store and will help you feel warm on chilly days. Don't forget to visit your farmers during the cold months!
Kohlrabi & Italian Sausage Soup
Adapted from Potato Kohlrabi and Italian Sausage Soup: Melissa Vance, Johnson's Backyard Garden
1 TBSP olive oil, Texas Olive Ranch
1-2 link Italian sausage, we used our venison Italian sausage, but the Italian sausage at Wheatsville is also great
1 shallot or yellow onion, diced
1-2 smoke-dried tomatoes, chopped Boggy Creek Farms
2 kohlrabi bulbs, peeled and cut into 1/4" slices, Johnson's Backyard Garden
3-4 new potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4" slices, Johnson's Backyard Garden
1 large bunch of kale or swiss chard, stems removed and chopped, Johnson's Backyard Garden
6 cups chicken broth, we used homemade
salt and pepper
1/2 cup cream or MimicCreme (available at Wheatsville)
1. In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil and add the Italian sausage and smoke-dried tomatoes and cook until browned.
2. Add the onions and garlic and cook until fragrant.
3. Add the chicken broth, potatoes, kohlrabi, greens and salt and pepper.
4. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
5. Remove 1/2 of the soup and transfer to a blender.
6. Add the blended soup back into the stock pot and add the cream and stir until blended.
7. Serve with crusty bread or crackers.
Another great recipe for the winter...