Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Lemon Tarts - Gluten and Dairy Free



I've never been a baker. I guess I've never been great at detailed work and I know how important exact measurements are in baking. The tip that has helped me recently is to use a scale in gluten free baking. It has saved me on many occasions. Each person's measurements can be slightly different, so a scale helps to keep proportions correct. In fact, I think I'm ready to upgrade to a digital scale very soon. 

This recipe comes from one of my favorite food blogs, Tartlette, which has BEAUTIFUL food photography as well as wonderfully delicious desserts. I adapted this recipe from theirs, used our few remaining Meyer lemons from our tree and loved the results. 

I followed her Lemon Tart recipe exactly except for replacing the butter with Earth Balance non-dairy spread. Don't forget to dust the tarts with a little extra powdered sugar once they've cooled. 

South Texas citrus is still readily available at the Austin Farmers' Market, Central Market and Wheatsville. 



No comments:

Post a Comment