Thursday, February 3, 2011
The Texas citrus fruits this year have been amazing and we had several oranges and grapefruits in our fridge along with a few remaining Meyer lemons from our trees in the backyard. We decided to have a citrus theme this evening for dinner. You can still find citrus at the farmers' market or even some at Central Market or Wheatsville this time of year.
Orange and Lemon Chicken
1. Preheat the oven to 375.
2. Take the whole chicken or chicken quarters and place them in a roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper, olive oil (Texas Olive Ranch), lemon or orange juice, honey and orange and lemon zest. **Add beets for roasting if desired.
3. Roast in the oven for 45-60 minutes. Let rest before serving. We served them on some braised swiss chard and beet greens (both from Johnson's Backyard Garden) and added extra lemon zest.
Grapefruit and Beet Salad
1. Either peel and slice beets or roast them, let cool and then slice.
2. On a plate, add lettuce leaves (Johnson's Backyard Garden), grapefruit segments and sliced beets.
3. Drizzle a dressing made with 1/8 cup Texas Olive Ranch Pomegranate Vinegar, 1/8 cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, 1/4 cup of olive oil, squeeze of honey (Native Nectar Wild Texas Guajillo Honey from Thunderheart Bison) and a little salt and pepper.